Today I want to share one of the recipes that we have found and modified while losing weight that I love! It is (as the title has alluded to) Philly Cheese Steak Stuffed Peppers! They are a great protein rich low carb recipe.
- 2 green bell peppers
- 8 slices of provolone cheese (or any cheese you like, we use mozzarella)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 8 oz of roast beef, or steak meat of your choosing (we use breakfast steaks from the quarter cow we buy)
- 2 Tbsp of unsalted butter
- 2Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- dash of salt to taste
- dash of black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400. Slice peppers in half lengthwise, remove ribs and seeds.
- Slice onions and mushrooms. Saute over medium heat with butter, olive oil, minced garlic and a little salt and pepper. Saute until onions and mushroom are nice and caramelized. About 25-30 minutes.
- Add meat and cook meat through. Drain juice when done cooking.
- Line the inside of the pepper with a slice of cheese.
- Fill each pepper with meat mixture.
- Cover each filled pepper with another slice of cheese.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is to desired brown color.
Makes 4 servings – 6 net carbs per serving
Serving Size: makes 4 half peppers